Damage to the Brain
Patients who suffer a Mild Traumatic Brain Injury, such as a
- concussion (from a sports accident)
- head injury (perhaps from a fall) or a
- whiplash injury (from a car accident)
often do not realize the significant potential for serious, long term negative effects and even an increased risk of dementia in the future.
Many people who have experienced a concussion will suffer from symptoms that persist for weeks, months or even years after the initial injury.
How Can Chiropractics and Functional Neurology Help?
Our unique approach to brain based rehabilitation and recovery combines over 21 years of experience utilizing the art of Chiropractic manipulation with our expanded knowledge of Functional Neurology, Orthopedics, Nutrition and Acupuncture.
A concussion causes damage to the brain and this injury affects an individual’s eye movements, balance, spatial orientation, speed, accuracy, endurance, reaction time, thought, emotion, and overall health.
Our goal is to help the brain, itself, restore impaired functions, by encouraging targeted activity, in impacted areas of the brain, to rebuild neural pathways.
How does a Chiropractic Neurologist assess and diagnose a concussion?
1. Interview & Examination. We perform a comprehensive bedside neurologic interview and examination to uncover or discover abnormalities or insufficiencies in:
- Cognition and Affect
- Deep Tendon Reflexes/Muscle Stretch Reflexes
- Muscle Strength/Synergy
- Range of Motion
- Autonomic Nervous System function
- Cardiac/Respiratory function
- Auditory function
- Visual function
- Vestibulo-ocular Reflexes
- Vestibulo-spinal Reflexes
- Cerebellar function
2. Testing. After establishing a working diagnosis, additional adjunct testing may be prescribed to gain further understanding of your neurologic dysfunction/disease. Adjunct testing provides additional invaluable information about the functional state of your nervous system.
3. Treatment Plan. An individualized treatment plan is established for you, based on the examination and testing results. Outside medical records and diagnostic imaging studies (CT, MRI, X-ray, Labs) are gathered, reviewed and utilized in establishing a care plan.
4. Measure Progress. We consistently measure your progress and compare it to your baseline results to help guide us in your measurable recovery.
What type of specialized training have our doctors received?
Dr. Kelly W. Smith carries board certifications in Chiropractic (Northwestern College of Chiropractic), Functional Neurology (Carrick Institute for Graduate Studies), Acupuncture (American Academy of Medical Acupuncture) and an undergraduate degree in Biology/Chemistry (Concordia College).
Dr. Ala L. Lysyk Smith carries board certifications in Chiropractic (Northwestern College of Chiropractic), Functional Neurology (Carrick Institute for Graduate Studies), Acupuncture (American Academy of Medical Acupuncture) and an undergraduate degree in Biology (Queen’s University).
Both doctors have completed other Functional Neurologic specialty post graduate training in:
Diagnosis and treatment of Concussion and mild Traumatic Brain Injury
FNOR™-Functional Neuro Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Clinical Application of Joint Manipulation
HEADS UP! Certified
Speak to a real person.
Call our office to schedule a visitation.
We are available M-F 8 - 5 CST