When you are a new patient in our office seeking general chiropractic care, your first appointment will take about an hour. You begin by completing some paperwork and health history forms for us. Next, our staff will perform some vitals and a balance screening test with our CAPS unit. Our doctors will review the written history, vitals, and CAPS scores before seeing you as a patient.
Next, the doctors will visit with you to complete your history and perform an examination. From there they will diagnose your condition and decide which treatment option is best. Most time, treatment is performed that day. However other times, they may decide imaging is needed before treatment or they may decide to wait with treatment for another reason. Either way, we hope you will appreciate the time they spend with you to be sure you get the most complete and thorough care.
History of Chiropractic Care
Chiropractic care can be traced back to beginning of time. Ancient writing from Greece and China mention spinal alignment as a remedy for back pain.Hippocrates also refers to chiropractic care in some of his writings. He even suggested that healthcare providers should,"Get knowledge of the spine, for this is the requisite for many diseases". (ACA today)
Chiropractic care originated in the United States in the 1890s when the founder, Daniel David Palmer began practicing in Iowa.His practice was based on the concept that most diseases and dysfunctions were related to spinal misalignment. Chiropractic philosophy is based on the fact that the health of the spine along with the entire musculoskeletal system, is directly many aspects of one's health. And, the body has an ability to heal itself with conservative care that does not focus on surgery or medication.
Doctors of chiropractic will use several forms of treatment for each specific case. Some of these aspects of treatment include, but are not limited to, examination, health history, manipulation, x-ray and laboratory testing, recommending therapeutic and rehabilitative exercises, and nutritional and lifestyle counseling.A manipulation or chiropractic adjustment is by far is the most well known form of treatment chiropractors provide.
"The purpose of manipulation is to restore joint mobility by manually applying a controlled force into joints that have become hypo-mobile - or restricted in their movement - as a result of a tissue injury." "Injured tissues undergo physical and chemical changes that can cause inflammation, pain, and diminished function for the sufferer. Manipulation, or adjustment of the affected joint and tissues, restores mobility, thereby alleviating pain and muscle tightness, and allowing tissues to heal." (ACA today)
Chiropractic doctors will take the time to review your complaints, history, examination and determine if they can help with their treatment options or if a referral to another healthcare professional is the best option.
All things considered, doctors of chiropractic treat the patient as a whole. Taking into account all parts of the body and how they affect one another. And then, work to find the cause of the problem and treat the problem, not just the symptoms. The ultimate goal is to teach people how to properly nourish their bodies, manage their stress, and take care of the system as a whole.
A few interesting facts about back pain:
- 50% of all working Americans admit to having back pain symptoms each year.
- Back pain is one of the most common reasons for missed work. In fact, back pain is the second most common reason for visits to the doctor’s office, outnumbered only by upper-respiratory infections.
- Most cases of back pain are mechanical or non-organic—meaning they are not caused by serious conditions, such as inflammatory arthritis, infection, fracture or cancer.
- Americans spend at least $50 billion each year on back pain—and that’s just for the more easily identified costs.
- Experts estimate that as many as 80% of the population will experience a back problem at some time in our lives.
- A recent study of 10,000 adults found that the prevalence of neck pain was about 1 in every 3 persons.
- The most common cause of functional disabilty in those over 50 yrs old is disorders of the spine. The average person lives to be approx 80 yrs old. That is a good portion of a persons life that is affected by by spine-related issues!
- 85% of all Americans will experience incapacitating low back pain at some time in their life.
- Chiropractic care is the 2nd largest primary health care provider in the Western world. Chiropractic care has an incredibly high rate of success--35% greater succes rate for back & neck pain than any other form of treatment.
- In 1999, orthopedic researches found that chiropractic treatment resulted in 93% success rate of improvement for chronic neck injuries.
Your First Visit
When you are a new patient in our office, our doctors like to take a bit more time to do a complete health history and examination. We schedule about 1 hour for your initial visit to allow adequate time for all aspects of this visit.
You will begin with doing some paperwork--be sure & bring a photo ID, as well as your current insurance card.Next, our chiropractic assistants will take you back and record your vital information. In addition a CAPS test, or balance test will be performed. We utilize state of the art equipment that allows us to test patients’ balance. This is an important step in monitoring your progress, monitoring risk for other diseases, and in preventing falls, which have been named the #1 cause of non-fatal injuries.
After that, you will meet with one of our doctors. They will start by taking a health history and asking a series of questions. Next, a complete examination will be performed.
Then, based on the information from your health history and complaints and the results from your examination, the doctors will determine a treatment plan appropriate for you.